Thursday, October 18, 2012

It made me wonder...

     I had a rather interesting and almost scary thing happen to me on Monday night.  Coming home from SLCC I was transferring from one bus to another bus.  This guy got off the bus at the same time and immediately started talking to me.  The general conversation was as follows:

Him: How are you?
Me: Good (I'm listening to my music...don't interrupt that man! :P)
Him: Where are you going?
Me: Home
Him: Where do you live?
Me: *Pretend I don't hear him and continue to listen to the music*
Him: What's your name?
Me: Meghan
Him: You should give me you number.
Me: No.
Him: You should!
Me: No.
Him: Do you have any friends?
Me: Yes
Him: Do you guys drink?
Me: No, I don't drink.
Him: Do you want to try now?
Me: No, thank you.
Him: Do you smoke weed?  I have some weed.
Me: No, thank you. I don't smoke weed.
Him: I also have cigarettes...want one?
Me: No, thank you.
Him: Where do you work?
Me: Downtown
Him: I bet it gets stressful, huh?
Me: Not really.
Him: I have some safe pills in my bag that will help you relax.  They are called "relaxing pills".  Do you want some?
Me: No, thanks.
Him: But they will help you relax and not be stressed.
Me: I'm plenty relaxed.

At that point in the conversation I texted my dad and asked him to call my cell so I could have a distraction.  After my dad did that the guy seemed to take the hint and leave me alone.  As scary as this was it's led to a lot of thinking for me since then.  It led me to think about how unhappy this guy must be.  How messed up his life must be.  I began to feel sorry for him! 
  It makes me think about what it is going to be like wherever I am on my mission.  The kinds of people I may encounter.  It has led to an even bigger desire to help them!  Help people recieve the atonement into their lives and live more happily!  I want to be a "Good Samaritan" and help others.  Help them become the kinds of people we all can be!  Beings that are just like our Father in Heaven!  He created us to become so much!  More then we can even imagine. 

I cannot even imagine what life is like for people who live like the guy at the bus stop.  What it feels like to be so entangled by something so evil and horrible.  What it feels like to have no control over your own life when in use of those substances.  I also can't even figure out why people wouldn't just jump into the power of the Atonement.  Jesus Christ suffered for every sin and sorrow we have encountered in our lives.  Why let it go to waste?  One of my favorite passages of scripture comes from the Bible.  It's Hebrews 12:1-3:

"1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the asin which doth so easily bbeset us, and let us run with cpatience the race that is set before us,
 Looking unto Jesus the aauthor and bfinisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him cendured the cross, despising the dshame, and is set down at the right hand of the ethrone of God.
 For consider him that endured such acontradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."

Jesus Christ is our Savior!  Without him we would be drowning in our sins and life would literally be like hell.  I know that He suffered for my sins and I am so excited to help others discover the happiness I feel from the atonement. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment