Monday, July 8, 2013

"It may not be at the battle's front..."



 "I am pleased to announce that effective immediately, all worthy and able young men who have graduated from high school or its equivalent, regardless of where they live, will have the option of being recommended for missionary service beginning at the age of 18, instead of age 19.... I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21." -Thomas S. Monson

The announcement that changed the life goals of so many young men and young women, myself included. I've made it very clear that this what I plan to do when my 19th birthday approaches. There have been two things in my life within the last year that I have been 100% sure about and that is one of those two. I began preparations for my mission immediately. I started my mission papers in December 2012. I remember starting them and becoming so excited to serve. It was all becoming so real to me. I couldn't wait! 5 months later that all changed.

May 2013 - Much to my dismay, due to health problems that I have no control over I was not granted the chance to serve a proselyting mission for my church. I couldn't believe it. All this preparation I've put in towards getting ready to leave...was it all for nothing? I can't even go? I met with my bishop and we talked about the different options open for me. I went home and after a lot of prayer and counsel with my parents and my bishop I reached a decision. I was going to serve a service mission. It's not what I planned at all. I feel so confident that this is how my Heavenly Father plans to have me serve for him.

I've learned a lot with this decision. I have had to learn to have faith in my Heavenly Father and his path for me. There are so many things that we can do to fulfill the things we have been asked to fulfill in our lives He would never ask something of us without providing a way to accomplish it. Why would he? He our Father! We are his children. He cares so much about us. He knows what we need to do in order to grow and build our testimonies up. Sometimes I get a little down when I hear the growth of the missionaries in the field. It's difficult knowing that I won't be one of the sisters adding to those numbers.

I'm reminded of the Hymn called "I'll go where you want me to go".
Verse 1: 
It may not be on the mountain height
Or over the stormy sea,
It may not be at the battle's front
My Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still, small voice he calls
To paths that I do not know,
I'll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in thine:
I'll go where you want me to go.
 I see those words in a different light now.  It might not be out proselyting that I'm needed. No matter what I end up doing I am still serving the Lord. That was my whole goal in leaving on a full time mission in the first place. In the end I am still doing exactly what I wanted to do. Truth is I am still super excited! I can't wait to serve! I want to do it more then anything! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Meghan! Way to keep plugging along!
    p.s. I LOVE this hymn :)

    ReplyDelete