Thursday, March 15, 2012

Who are my true friends?

This year I am learning for myself what a true friend is and what it means to be one myself.
The beginning of this year did not start out easy for me.  I offended a close friend of mine to the point that he refuses to speak to me.  That experience really hurt me.  I went from a bubbly person to someone in a really deep state of depression.  I did my part in trying to mend things with this friend, but I had no success.  I went through some really rough things with myself.  I couldn't seem to forgive myself for offending him.  My remark that offended him wasn't meant to be offensive so that made it all the more harder for me.  After about 3 weeks of crying myself to sleep literally every night I had decided that I was sick of being the sad person I was.  No one wanted to be around me if I was going to be so down about everything.  I started to realize that because I was choosing to let losing that friend affect my happiness I was losing the other friends that really did want to be around me.  Even though it was hard I started pasting a fake smile on my face when I was around other people.  After a while that fake smile became a realistic thing.  I started to feel happy again.  I started to see all the people that were surrounding me with love.  I had no idea just how many people really do care about me.  I may have lost that one friend, but I was still surrounded with so many true friends.

Lately I have really been going through my friends and deciding if they are really the kinds of people I want influencing my life.  I have so many amazing friends in my life.  If you look at my left sidebar you will see all my best friend's pictures listed.  They are all such amazing people!  The song that comes to my mind is "Count on Me" by Bruno Mars  Some of the lyrics are: Find out what we're made of
When we are called to help our friends in need

[Chorus]
You can count on me like 1, 2, 3
I'll be there
And I know when I need it
I can count on you like 4, 3, 2
And you'll be there
'cause that's what friends are supposed to do oh yeah
ooooooh, oooohhh yeah yeah

You'll always have my shoulder when you cry
I'll never let go
Never say goodbye
It is such a good description of the friends I have!  I can't think  of one that wouldn't/hasn't bent over backwards to be there  for me when I need someone.  I really hope they know that there isn't something that I wouldn't do for them.  My goal is to really strive to be a true friend like mine. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment